As the temperature cools, pests tend to go inside O’Fallon, IL homes for warmth. Here is a list of the most common pests and bugs that may find their way into your home this fall.
Stink bugs are shield-shaped mottled grey & brown insects. They tend to leave crop fields in the fall and head toward man-made structures. They become a challenge because they tend to leave an unpleasant smell when they are disturbed or crushed.
Box Elder Bugs
Box Elder Bugs are oval-shaped and have a fiery orange and black coloration. They are noticeable when they make their way into your home because they are grouped by hundreds. They are capable of biting but aren’t known to do it. When they are inside, look for signs of stained curtains, bedding, furniture, and other fabrics.
Asian Lady Beetles
Asian lady beetles, also known as Halloween beetles, become a problem in mid-fall. They typically will climb all over screens and gather into piles in the corners of your window and door frames. They bite and occasionally cause stains.
Bug Prevention Tips:
- Complete a detailed inspection of your exterior home. Seal all gaps, cracks, and holes you may find. You can do this with a caulking tool.
- Completely inspect your exterior walls from inside your home. Take an extra look around your electrical outlets, switches, fans, fixtures, window frames, and other areas. Seal all the gaps you find with a caulking tool.
- Ensure all your screens, door sweeps and weatherstripping tools are working properly, If not, make sure you repair or replace them.
- Have your roofline sealed and make sure your roof penetrations are inspected and repaired.
- Consider having your chimney capped.
- Try and reduce exterior lighting, these lights attract insects.
- Replace your exterior lighting with sodium vapor lights or yellow bulbs to reduce the attraction.
Types of Pests
Mice & Rats
Rodent Prevention Tips:
- Remove all objects away from your walls and reduce vegetation in your landscaping. This makes it difficult for rodents to find hiding places near your home.
- Place wire mesh in your downspouts to prevent mice or rats from getting up to your roofline.
- Trim your tree branches away from your roofline to keep rodents from jumping onto your roof.
- Move any bird feeders at least 20 feet from your exterior. Seed is an attractive food source for rodents.
- Ensure that you take care of any issues that may create standing water.
Contact Brady Pest
If you are experiencing insect or rodent infestation and can’t seem to rid of them, contact our team at Brady Pest! We have the tools and experience to address all your pest control needs in the O’Fallon, Illinois area.