As the leaves change colors and the weather starts to cool down, fall brings with it a sense of coziness and comfort. However, it also signals the arrival of various pests that seek refuge from the dropping temperatures by invading our homes. These unwelcome guests can not only be a nuisance but also pose health risks and property damage. In this blog, we’ll explore some different pests that can infest your Maryville, IL home during the fall season.
- Mice: Fall is a prime season for rodents to seek shelter indoors. As temperatures drop, these pests look for warm and cozy nesting sites, and your home can be an attractive option. Mice can squeeze through tiny openings in walls, vents, and pipes, making it essential to seal any potential entry points. Not only can they contaminate your food and damage property, but they can also carry diseases, posing a significant health risk to your family.
- Spiders: Many spider species become more active during the fall, and they might find their way into your home in search of food and shelter. Most spiders will not harm you, however many have a painful bite. To prevent spider infestations, keep your home clean and clutter-free, as spiders are attracted to hidden corners and dark spaces. Regularly dust and vacuum to eliminate cobwebs and spider hiding spots.
- Stink Bugs: Stink bugs are notorious for invading homes during the fall season. These shield-shaped insects release a foul-smelling odor when threatened or crushed, making them particularly unwelcome guests. Stink bugs often enter homes through cracks and gaps in windows and doors. To deter them, seal any openings, repair damaged screens, and consider using weather stripping to keep them out.
- Ants: Fall can be a busy time for ants as they forage for food to sustain their colonies during the upcoming winter months. While they may not pose significant health risks, ants can be a nuisance when they invade your kitchen and pantry in search of sweet or greasy foods. To prevent ant infestations, keep food containers tightly sealed, clean up crumbs promptly, and fix any leaks or moisture issues that might attract them.
- Cockroaches: Cockroaches are a year-round problem, but they can become more active during the fall as they look for warmth and shelter. These resilient pests are known carriers of allergens and disease-causing pathogens. To prevent cockroach infestations, maintain a clean and dry environment, seal cracks and gaps in walls and floors, and store food in airtight containers.
In addition to these five pests, many other insects and rodents can become a fall nuisance. To keep your Maryville, IL home pest-free during the autumn months, consider the following prevention tips:
- Regularly inspect and seal potential entry points: Check doors, windows, and foundations for cracks or gaps, and repair them promptly.
- Keep your home clean: Regularly clean and declutter your living spaces, especially kitchens and basements.
- Store food properly: Use airtight containers to store food and clean up crumbs and spills immediately.
- Maintain your outdoor area: Trim bushes and trees away from your home to prevent pests from using them as bridges to access your house.
- Consult a pest control professional: If you notice a significant pest infestation, consider seeking help from a professional pest control service to assess and address the problem.
If you live around the Maryville, IL area and are looking for fall pest control services, contact Brady Pest & Termite Management!